Tuesday, August 9, 2011

September's Love Child


Who doesn't love the month of September?

From the young age of adolescence, September symbolizes a fresh start, new beginnings. For schoolchildren it comes in the form of freshly sharpened pencils, the rather addicting smell of new, pink erasers and brand new notebooks.These small things symbolize a bigger picture. Somehow the act of buying new school supplies brings along a mental state of having a fresh start, a new slate.

And it didn't stop there. Who doesn't remember the exciting trip with their mothers to buy new clothes for school? New clothes=new image. Even at a young age, you understood that somehow, clothing said a lot about who you were, whether it was accurate information or not.

Skipping ahead to our present day for us older kids or "kids at heart", we may not go "back to school" shopping for ourselves anymore, but inside we still see September as the time to analyze our wardrobes and how we are projecting our "image". They don't say that "September is fashion's January" for nothing. January is the time for New Year resolutions; likewise, September is the time to set fashion resolutions. Are you a t-shirt and jeans kind of person? September is the perfect time to shake things up a bit and put a little more effort into your look.
Well, okay, I get it. Just as it is really tough to follow through with good New Year resolutions, so it may also be hard to get out of a style rut. Thankfully for those of us, and yes I'm including myself, who are having a little trouble style wise, there are endless venues of inspiration. The most common source of fashion magazines is in the form of magazines. Out of the many hundreds of title out there, there are a couple that I personally reference in times of my "style block".

It is one of my dreams to one day have the space necessary to house my growing magazine collection. I recently had to weed through and designate two piles: one for keeps and one for giveaways. It was by far the hardest thing I ever had to do; even harder than weeding through my wardrobe. After much deliberation, I decided to giveaway everything but the biggest issues of the high fashion magazines (Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Elle, and W for instance). With the exception of a few titles, I chose to keep these issues, which happen to be the March (spring releases) and of course the September (fall releases) issues. For the American and some international magazines, September is always the must have issue; if you can't afford to subscribe for the entire year to multiple publications or if you do not have the capacity to store them all, the September issue houses enough information and inspiration to last you all season.

That's where I, September's Love Child, come in. I am constantly searching for the "perfect" magazine, and in my search I will be reviewing them to share with those who also consider magazines a great resource. I look forward to sharing the love of magazines with you.

xoxo,
September's Love Child

No comments:

Post a Comment